Mountain Sun

  • Friday, November 13, 2009
  • Jeremy Jewell
  • As I alluded to in my previous post, there was a huge change in my life recently.  That change was that I have moved to the Los Angeles area.  I moved for work to help out on a project out here, and although it is a great opportunity career-wise (I’m actually managing others instead of doing all the work myself), I think the biggest bonus to moving out here is the opportunity for photography!

    Take this picture for example; this was just a short drive out of town!  Any direction I go I can see opportunity for great pictures; beaches, the ocean, deserts, mountains, and urban environments.

    I took this picture in the Angeles National Forest in the San Bernardino Mountains.  This is an interesting picture because of the way I put it together.  Technically, this is two exposures that I manually combined in Photoshop.  I took one photograph to properly expose the foreground and the mountains, and I took one photograph to properly expose the sky, and get the cool rays of light from the setting sun.  This was really the first time I’ve tried this technique.  I had originally planned on trying an HDR of this scene, but I didn’t really like the results, so I opted to try something new.


    Mountain Sun

    2 comments:

    1. Matthew L. Wells said...
    2. Now that gmail is finally not calling your emails spam, I can see and comment on this post. I like what you have done here, it is a pretty creative thing to take two different photos one of they sky and one of the ground, but it works. How exactly are the two shots different? Different exposure, shutter speed, aperture, what?

      And by the way, I am glad you didn't HDR this one. I think straight up photos when done well are much more impressive, but more than anything, I think it is refreshing to see something different out of you.

      PS. The starburst is great!

      November 20, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    3. Jeremy Jewell said...
    4. Basically all settings are the same except the aperture. To get the starburst I just cranked down the aperture to the smallest(for this lens it happens to be F/22 at 10mm) setting and fired away. Of course this changed the shutter speed, but only to compensate and make the exposure the same as the other one.

      By the way, I want to dispel the myth once and for all that I'm exclusively and primarily an HDR photographer. Only 13 of my 39 published photographs are done in HDR. Although there is a good time and place for HDR, I do not rely on it to make a good photograph. I firmly believe that trying new things is the only way to improve!

      November 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM

    Post a Comment

    Copyright 2010 Jeremy Jewell
    Template by Blogger Bits