1722 MPG

  • Tuesday, August 30, 2011
  • Jeremy Jewell
  • That’s the miles per gallon equivalent my dad’s electric bike gets, based on the EPA’s conversion calculation. Of course, the battery won’t actually last long enough to go that far on a charge, but that’s what the numbers say.

    My dad built this bike this spring, basically from nothing. He put together all the components based on his research and it runs like a dream. It’s a blast to ride too. He used a relatively small motor, so the speed will max out at 20 mph, which is plenty for a bicycle and right where he wanted it (although it would be sweet to have it faster). After you hold the throttle where you want it for a number of seconds the cruise control kicks in and you’re really rollin’. He mainly uses this bike for running errands and really loves it.

    The only thing he’s not sure about is the frame it’s on. He’s not all that comfortable on the mountain bike frame so he’s thinking of swapping all the components over to a classic 3 speed which would give him an upright riding position. I think it’s a great idea and would look really cool on that kind of frame. Maybe someday I’ll build one of these, but I need to build a fixie first. This is a really cool bike.

    film.237

    film.233

    film.235

    3 comments:

    1. Dave said...
    2. I'd love to do this myself. I did some minimal research on it a few years ago. Can you tell us about the components he used and his sources?

      August 31, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    3. Jeremy Jewell said...
    4. Hi Dave. I don't know a lot about the specifics off the top of my head, but I'll see what I can find out next time I talk to my dad.

      September 1, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    5. La Branĉaro said...
    6. It would be cool on a three-speed! Can't wait to see yours :-D

      September 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

    Post a Comment

    Copyright 2010 Jeremy Jewell
    Template by Blogger Bits