Little Corona's Rocks

  • Monday, February 15, 2010
  • Jeremy Jewell
  • Well I caught some flak from my aunt this weekend for not posting enough photos from California, so, by popular demand, here is another photograph from California!  I got a 10-stop neutral density filter for Christmas and this is exactly what I wanted it for.  This type of filter is very dark and reduces the amount of light that gets through the lens to the camera’s sensor, allowing for long exposures during the day.  The results, as seen below, are pretty cool when photographing moving water.  I took this at Little Corona Beach, which is part of the larger Corona Del Mar Beach in Orange County.  Corona Del Mar is quickly becoming my favorite; I actually went there again this weekend and did some shooting (this photo is about a month old).  There are lots of pretty rocks and tide pools, so there are plenty of subjects for photos.  I took this one near sunset, so I got a lot of warm sunsetty colors.

    As you can see from the EXIF info below, this was a 30 second exposure.  I did some editing in Photoshop to get the colors and a few other things exactly how I wanted them.  This was really my first attempt at shooting with this filter and I’m pretty happy with the results.

    Little Corona's Rocks
    Exif Information
    Model Canon EOS 20D
    Original date 2010:01:22 15:33
    Exposure time 30 sec
    Focal length 10mm
    F-Stopf/8
    ISO speed ISO-100
    Exposure Bias0

    4 comments:

    1. Matthew L. Wells said...
    2. Wow, so this looks like a computer generated image. At first I thought it kind of looked like a scene out of Lord of the Rings or something like that, but then looking at the rocks especially the on ein the middle right, it looks like it was computer generated.

      So, I wonder, is this look and feel a side effect of the filter and long exposure, or is it just a coincidence?

      February 16, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    3. Jeremy Jewell said...
    4. I don't know exactly what to attribute it to, other than me working my magic on it (obviously some of it is the filter and the long exposure; you can't fake that). I definitely agree; I think it looks like some sort of primeval scene, not unlike something in Lord of the Rings.

      February 16, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    5. Ginna said...
    6. Wow, you ought to submit this somewhere--It is really cool!

      March 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    7. Jeremy Jewell said...
    8. Thanks! I'm very happy with it!

      March 1, 2010 at 4:31 PM

    Post a Comment

    Copyright 2010 Jeremy Jewell
    Template by Blogger Bits