North Hollywood Shootout

  • Friday, January 6, 2012
  • Jeremy Jewell
  • These pictures are mainly for me. They aren’t particularily interesting without the back story, and the back story might be a little weird. When I was younger I often stumbled upon subjects that I would end up learning a lot about. For example, for some reason, I learned a ton about D.B. Cooper when I was younger. I probably saw a half dozen documentaries or other TV shows about him and his heist. I couldn’t be called an actual expert, but maybe a “casual expert.”

    Another topic that I happened to learn a lot about was the North Hollywood shootout. In 1997 two people armed with assault rifles and full body armor robbed a bank in North Hollywood. When they exited the bank, dozens of LAPD officers were waiting and a shootout ensued. The police were severely outgunned and even resorted to going to a local gun shop to commandeer heavier artillery. Eventually the robbers were stopped, but not before a huge gunfight in the streets. It was really quite an exciting story, and much was caught on camera from helicopters.

    I had seen a number of documentaries about this in the late 90’s so one morning when I decided to go to visit Hollywood, I realized that I really needed to stop by that bank. It took just a little googling on my phone, but I found it and stopped by to snap a few pictures.

    Anymore anyone can be a casual expert on anything, thanks to the internet and websites like Wikipedia. I feel like it was more of an accomplishment in the old days.

    film.341b

    film.341c

    1 comments:

    1. vanessa said...
    2. really cool story. i never heard about that shootout. imagining it in these photos give them more meaning to me. also the general suburban squareness of it all is kinda fascinating. looks like it was a nice day too. i miss that kind of sun. thanks for sharing!

      January 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM

    Post a Comment

    Copyright 2010 Jeremy Jewell
    Template by Blogger Bits