Lufkin Civic Center

  • Wednesday, August 19, 2009
  • Jeremy Jewell
  • I haven't felt much like working on photos recently; I've been taking quite a few, but I haven't been doing much past that.  It's easy for me to get into that habit; it's what I've done with my photos for a lot of the time I've been a photographer.  This website helps a lot though, because now I have an audience who expects to see more. Not to go all artist on you, but I need to be in the right mood to work on my artism, and I haven't been lately.  I did get into the mood for a while last weekend though and finished a few photos, and started a few others, so updates should be coming more frequently for a while, especially if I can get some time at home, which has been rare as of late.

    I was in Texas last week, and of course brought my camera.  I’ve never been to Texas, aside from layovers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport, so I was excited to get down here.  I heard southeast Texas could be home to some interesting people, but unfortunately, I didn’t meet any of these people.  We got done with our work early, because I'm an extremely efficient field worker, so I was a little worried I'd run out of free time for photography before I left.  Luckily, the nature of the work we were doing down there took me all over the area around Lufkin, Texas, which is in southeast Texas.  I was able to scope out a few places I wanted to shoot and then go directly to them when we were finished with the work we had to do on the last day.

    This photograph, of the Lufkin Civic Center, was not on my original list.  We journeyed into the heart of Lufkin to find a location to host a future public meeting, and this was our first (and most beneficial) stop.  I went outside as the woman I was with worked out the details of renting some space, and grabbed my camera.  With an audience of an obese woman in her truck yelling at her young daughter who didn't want to go to daycare at the church across the street, I composed this photograph.  Boring building you say?  Maybe it’s boring to some, but there is something about this type of large concrete building that I really enjoy.  I can't put my finger on exactly what it is about this type of building I like.  Maybe it's the overall look of this solid, impregnable, prison like building that was designed and built to be a Civic Center.  Maybe it's the fact that it's built to last a long time, and solidly constructed, unlike so many of the crappy buildings I see built today.  Maybe it’s the sheer size of this one story building.  The inside of this place is awesome; my apartment has 20 foot ceilings, and they’re dwarfed by the height of the ceilings in this place.  Maybe it's all of those things.  Regardless, I like this building, and I think the photograph is pretty nice to look at also.

    I'll keep the technicalities short on this one, but I did want to mention that in addition to being an HDR photograph, this is a composite of "three" pictures I took of the building in succession.  I say three in quotations because each of those three is an HDR image, so each one of the three is actually five.  I really like the field of view in this picture; it’s around 90 degrees from left to right, mimicking an ultra-wide angle lens.  It’s also a little distorted within that angle of view, which happened during the process of putting the scene together, which I like also.


    Lufkin Civic Center

    3 comments:

    1. Ward Jewell said...
    2. It reminds me of the downtown library in Wichita. If you like massive buildings you will like the Texas A&M campus when you visit there someday.

      How do you get the waving flag to still look like a flag when this is a composite of 15 inages?

      August 19, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    3. Jeremy Jewell said...
    4. Yes, you’re right; it is like the downtown library! I meant to mention that another reason I like these types of buildings is because they remind me of home, but I couldn’t think of any specific examples. The use of concrete to build things like this also reminds me of all the fountain parks downtown too, which we spent a lot of time at in elementary school when we’d go downtown each week.

      I believe the flag was luck in this case, and a little finagling on my part. The original image I created for the left part of this one had a flag that didn’t look very good. I took these in portrait orientation, but I had another set of photos I took in landscape. The portrait oriented images turned out much better than the landscape ones, except for the flag in the landscape pictures. I cut the flag out of those and used it in this, and I think it really improved the scene over the other flag, which was half folded in the air.

      August 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    5. Jeremy Jewell said...
    6. Also, the flag only appears in 5 of the total 15 (20 in the other original because I had 4 frames to make the same picture). I don't have the originals with me right now, but I believe that a majority of the 5 must have contained a flying flag, so it shows through in the resulting composite of those 5.

      August 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM

    Post a Comment

    Copyright 2010 Jeremy Jewell
    Template by Blogger Bits